There are 6 human needs that motivate and drive behaviour.
And every single action we take is in some way trying to fulfil one of these 6 Human Needs below;
The 6 Human Needs
The need to feel Safe, Secure, Comfortable, Free of pain.
2. Uncertainty (also known as Variety)
The need for Variety in life, Change, Movement, Excitement, Adventure
The need to feel Important, Worthy, Needed, Special, Unique
4. Love / Connection
The need for Love & Connection, Physical Intimacy, Conversation, Attatchment
The need to constantly grow Emotionally, Mentally, Spiritually
The need to reach out beyond oneself and contribute to others
Everybody will meet these needs on a daily basis, yet we tend to favour 2 of the needs above all others.
And this is largely due to our upbringing and the experiences we had during our childhood.
So let’s say your top need is for Significance.
This means that you will respond to life predominantly through this channel of needing to feel significant in some way.
Things get interesting when you look at how you are meeting these needs.
ie. Positive vs Negative vs Neutral
Let’s take a look at some negative ways to meet this need for Significance.
1. Needing approval from others in order to feel worthy.
2. Arguing with your partner
3. Feeling unappreciated & insignificant therefore looking for Significance outside of your relationship
And now let’s look at some positive ways to meet this same need for Significance.
1. Complimenting yourself or someone else on a job well done (giving significance)
2. Contributing in some way to someone less fortunate ie financially, and therefor feeling as though you have made a difference & you matter
3. Becoming a Leader in a field which advises others how to look after their mental / physical / spiritual selves
And lastly some neutral way to meet this same need are;
1. Grow your hair so long it’s down to your bum!
2. Drive around in a red convertible Car
3. Have a high paying job & surround yourself with luxury
So, the so the important question here now becomes, “how are you meeting your needs”?
Are you meeting them positively in a way that benefits you and those around you?
Or are you meeting them negatively, in a way that is neither beneficial for you or your loved ones?
The 6 Human Needs are at the very heart of my 1 on 1 Skype sessions with clients.
Because when our needs are met positively, we feel happier in our lives.
Our relationships are ‘rosy’.
We feel contented & comfortable.
These 6 Human Needs drive all human behaviour.
If you would like to know more about a 1 on 1 session with me, you can visit my website HERE